Sunday, February 11, 2007

Blizter v. Cheney

Wolf Blitzer had the following exchange in an interview with Vice President Cheney recently:

BLITZER: We're out of time, but a couple of issues I want to raise with you. Your daughter, Mary. She's pregnant. All of us are happy. She's going to have a baby, you're going to have another grandchild. Some of the -- some critics, though, are suggesting -- for example, a statement from someone representing Focus on the Family, "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father doesn't mean it's best for the child." Do you want to respond to that?

CHENEY: No, I don't.

BLITZER: She's, obviously, a good daughter...

CHENEY: I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf. And obviously I think the world of both my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question.

BLITZER: I think all of us appreciate...

CHENEY: I think you're out of line.

BLITZER: ...your daughters. No, we like your daughters. Believe me, I'm very, very sympathetic to Liz and to Mary. I like them both. That was just a question that's come up, and it's a responsible, fair question.

CHENEY: I just fundamentally disagree with you.

BLITZER: I want to congratulate you on having another grandchild.
Apparently, this whole interview was pretty contentious. But it is this last exchange that really struck me. I never really had a good feeling after the number of times I have seen Cheney confronted on this issue. It isn't that I don't see why people bring this up. The hope is that since Cheney obviously loves his daughter, he will want to defend her, and her lifestyle, against the ignorant comments coming from the far right.

Even though I understand that, I still don't think it is right the way to handle it. In my opinion, the fight to give same sex individuals and couples the same rights as heterosexual couples is fundamentally about respect for the individual and their choices and lifestyles. By thrusting Mary Cheney into the spotlight, in the hopes that a big name conservative will do battle with the religious right, is unfair to her, and I think goes against the spirit behind our goals. Instead, whether she gets involved should be her choice, just like who she chooses to share her life with should also be her choice. If she were to enter the arena, and do battle with far-right conservatives, we would all rally behind her. But since she seems to not want that battle, we should respect that and respect her privacy.

4 comments:

Macie said...

She publicly campaigned for her father, the leader of a party that threatens to go so far as to amend the Constitution to limit marriage to a man & woman. She wrote a book about her lifestyle. She participates in panel discussions and debates. She has put herself in the spotlight. And the press and American public would be remiss to not question the huge contradiction that exists in this issue.

Brendan said...

Since my father is a Republican, I can appreciate what it would be like to campaign for a person despite disagreeing with certain (or most) parts of a party's platform. I also don't agree that one cannot be gay and also be Republican. Following that logic, you could only support a party if you agree with everythinig it stands for.

That being said, maybe I was wrong in the level of privacy his daughter seeks. But I still don't like the way everyone tries to dig into VP Cheney by playing off his love for his daughter against comments by conservatives. I don't think it shows a lot of respect for privacy and family issues if you are using that to get a politician to say something you want to hear (and I do want to hear it too).

Macie said...

Granted, no one really agrees with every part of a party's platform. But does it sit well with you that these politicians (in general) highlight certain parts of their private lives to convince you that they are an attractive candidate for office, but then get ultra-defensive when anything that even smells of criticism is asked? They not only try to be leaders and models politically, but socially as well, and are therefore vulnerable to criticism and lose their right to privacy. They aren't private citizens.

I guess I just don't have much sympathy for a guy who promotes such ignorant worldviews, but then supposedly loves his daughter. And I guess I just want him to take a stand on the issue of gay marriage and families even and especially if it isn't in agreement with his party's platform. A true leader would take a stand either way. He can't have it both ways!

Cheney's overreaction to the question was more revealing than anything he would have said on the subject anyway.

Brendan said...

I think you are right about a politician not deserving the same respect for privacy; but VP Cheney isn't in a same sex relationship, his daughter is. And I don't think you can extend the loss of privacy considerations to the candidate's family or those that campaign for them.

That being said, I want Cheney to take a stand. I find it sad that despite the fact that he supports his daughter, he isn't willing to bash the intolerant parts of his party. But, I don't think people need to bring it up all the time.

You said that the way he responds is very revealing of the type of person he is. I agree, but I don't think you need to bait him to learn that. He is unwilling to speak out against this with or without questions; and that is just as revealing.