Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sometimes I Am Wrong

Okay, so just after I finish bashing Hillary's position on the war, I read this ($), by David Brooks. Maybe I was wrong about her; her position does seem to be exactly how I would want a leader to have looked at the situation. Here are some highlights from the column:

If they went back and read what Senator Clinton was saying before the war, they’d be surprised, as I was, by her approach. And they’d learn something, as I did, about what kind of president she would make.

The Iraq war debate began in earnest in September 2002. At that point Clinton was saying in public what Colin Powell was saying in private: emphasizing the need to work through the U.N. and build a broad coalition to enforce inspections.

She delivered her Senate resolution speech on Oct. 10. It was Clintonian in character. On the one hand, she rejected the Bush policy of pre-emptive war. On the other hand, she also rejected the view that the international community “should only resort to force if and when the United Nations Security Council approves it.” Drawing on the lessons of Bosnia, she said sometimes the world had to act, even if the big powers couldn’t agree.
I have a feeling that my opinions on the candidates will be changing a lot over the next year or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, up to now I felt that Hillary should admit to making a mistake about the Iraq war. I'm taking a leadership class right now though and of course she came up. My prof. brought up a very good point (which has actually been used against other democrats). If she were to back down some would call her wishy-washy. It can be more risky for a woman to change her stance than a man because traditionally women were viewed as always changing their mind in order to discount women's ideas. I didn't take this into account, but I agree with my prof. that it would probably be more damaging to Hillary to be called wishy-washy than to face the critics calling for her to admit she was wrong.

Brendan said...

That's a good point. More than many other candidates, Hillary is in a place where she will be criticized no matter what stance she takes.