Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Move Left

For those of you that are long time followers of my blog (anyone?) or people close to me, you might be thinking that I seem to have moved left over the years*. One or two people have said this outright, and so I have given it some thought.

Ultimately, my conclusion is that I was more moderate during the Iraq War, mostly because I found that Democrats had no viable solution except to attack the war and attack Bush. I thought we had to stay in Iraq (you break it, you own it). So I wanted to support people that understood that and had good proposals. Along those lines, I liked people like McCain, Powell, Biden (though his solution was crazy).

But I don’t think my domestic policies have changed any. And now that domestic policy dominates, I think it appears that I have moved left, when in reality, the issues changed to things on which I am more liberal.

To be honest though, I cannot say for sure that I haven't moved left on foreign policy. I still think I was right to defend staying in Iraq. And I think I always supported the surge. But I do have a vague feeling that I was a bit more hawkish, at least at in 2004. Thoughts?


*There was a time when I had said that I would support John McCain for president. This was long before his 2008 campaign though, when he turned far to the right to appease his base.

No comments: