Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Who are the 99 Percent?

The recent Occupy Wall Street protests have been referencing the 99 percent versus the 1 percent - ie the percentiles of income distribution in the US. But I think it is important that we all see what the different income levels are at the different percentiles.

Income percentiles (from Tax Policy Center
25%: $19,375
50%: $42,327
75%: $85,811
90%: $154,131
99%: $506,533

There is more nuance available if you want it. Numbers are different based on location (median income in NYC is $50,173) and tax filing status (median income for married filing jointly is $74,608). But this should give a general sense.

I won’t say where I am on this chart, but I will say that I don’t feel as high up as I am, which is apparently a pretty common phenomenon. I think I, and others, feel this way because purchasing power among much of the chart is relatively similar. I am still facing things I cannot afford that seem like basics. In other words, I would expect that someone at my position in the percentiles would have much more disposable income than I do. But overall, I am pretty comfortable, so I am not complaining.

Anyway, now when people talk about the 99 percent, we know who that is. And we know who the 99th percentile are. 

No comments: