Monday, March 23, 2009

Not Sure What to Think

I cannot decide whether to be a little optimistic about the new Israeli government, or depressed and terrified. And my feelings change depending on the article I read. The fact that this is a right wing government (with Avigdor Lieberman as foreign minister) that does not believe in a two state solution depresses me - especially since I thought Obama's even hand might actually be able to guide the region forward.

But then it seems that the right wing government wants to govern from the middle and does not want to anger the Obama administration (and thereby recognizing that Obama will be more willing to actually criticize). And although they do not believe in a two state solution, they want to see economic growth in the Palestinian territories before talk of a two-state solution.

So I guess I am in the middle - neither optimistic nor depressed. I am glad there is talk of fostering economic growth in the territories. However, I am skeptical since I do not know what kind of growth can be expected given the large scale destruction in Gaza (maybe they only mean the West Bank). We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: